Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blessings of the Priesthood

This fast Sunday is a special one in our family for a number of reasons. Let me break it down:

-First, I finished the movie I've been making with the Young Men in my ward (yes, I am promoting it again).



It's a funny take about Fast Offerings and it made me think more and more about fasting and the reason behind it, plus the boys had fun! I have chronic migraines, so I don't usually get to fast, I'm always taking morning meds and then usually needing food so I don't get a migraine for the day.

But today is a special day for 2 reasons and so I am fasting and hoping for the best (full disclosure, I started with 3 pills and a swallow of water).

1- As many people know the Church Media Services Department (previously AudioVisual) is building a set of Jerusalem in Goshen and they asked for a department wide fast to help the temperatures stay high so that the glue could set it. This is why I love working for the Church, morning devotionals, prayers & department wide fasts!!! Too cool!

2- Perhaps the biggest and most important thing is that today we will bless our new baby. I'm thrilled to be able to exercise this Priesthood ordinance. For the uneducated, this is sort of like a christening, but without water (I guess...). We give the baby a name and a blessing. It is always a joke in our family that if I don't like the name we pick out at the hospital, I'll just give the baby a different name during the blessing, the records of the Church will reflect it!

I'm privileged to hold the Priesthood and I'll be privileged to be surrounded by brothers, brother-in-laws, father, father-in-law and even a grandpa-in-law in a Priesthood circle of brothers to bless this sweet child. Nothing better then being a father...except one that holds the Priesthood.

(and since I'm a slave to my own work, here is an older Mormon Message about the Priesthood)

No comments: